Civil Penalty Under UK Immigration Act

A Civil Penalty Notice can damage your organisations reputational image, which can lead to financial damage. The media can become aware of such notices which can further harm your reputation, resulting in declining client numbers and your ability to attract talented staff.

Book An Appointment
Civil Penalty Notices
0161 504 0084
0121 260 5566
01244 264 100

Civil Panelty Under Immigration Act

Axis Solicitors - Expert UK Solicitors

Under Section 15 of the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, all organisations in the UK must carry out Right to Work checks on employees to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Immigration Enforcement also have the power to publish your business details to deter other businesses from employing illegal workers.

At Axis Solicitors our expert team will assist you to minimise the damage caused by a Civil Penalty Notice.

Civil Penalty Notices are designed to protect the UK’s labour market by penalising those employers who contravene UK immigration laws by employing illegal migrants. Employers exploit illegal workers, by paying them poorly. The Civil Penalty regime is also in place to penalise those employers who have failed to carry out right to work checks on employees, thereby inadvertently employing illegal worker.

The fine for employing an illegal worker could be £20,000 per illegal worker. Business owners who knowingly employ someone who does not have a right to work in the UK, could face five years’ imprisonment and unlimited fines.

Business owners who receive a Civil Penalty Notice, are given a period of 28 days to respond to the Notice. You have three options:

  • Make representations against the Civil Penalty;
  • You can accept the fine and we can request the Home Office to set up an instalment plan, allowing you to pay the fees in full;
  • Or you can accept the penalty and pay the fine in full

A notice can be challenged on several grounds:

  • Employer has a ‘statutory excuse’- i.e. the employer carried out Right to Work checks on the employee;
  • The employer reported the illegal workers in the Notice to the Home Office;
  • Mitigating factors were not considered by the Home Office, such as no previous breach of sponsor licence;
  • The people named in the notice do not work for the employer;
  • The Home Office acted outside its powers;

To find out more about how we can assist you with the Civil Penalty Notice, please contact our offices on0800 048 7573 or complete our Online enquiry form to make an appointment.

Need Immigration advice?

Complex legal matters call for expert legal help. Our expert team of solicitors can handle UK immigration, family law, business crime & personal injury cases. We service the work from our offices (Manchester, London, Birmingham and Chester

Call Us Now

Immigration Matters

Spouse Visa

If you are married or in a civil partnership, you might be eligible to apply for UK Spouse Visa.

Fiance Visa

If you have 'settled status' in the UK, your fiance may be able to join you in the UK.


After 12 months of getting your ILR, you might be eligible for naturalisation.


If you have been detained or refused an entry in the UK, we are here to help, contact us.


If you have completed time required for your route legally, you might be eligible for ILR.


If you have been detained or refused an entry in the UK, we are here to help, contact us.


If you have fear of persecution, you maybe eligible for grant of asylum as a refugee.

Let's Talk

Axis Solicitors Limited has experienced lawyers who can help you with your matters for a successful outcome. Contact us for immediate advice via phone or contact form.

Request a call from an expert

    Contact Information

    We have offices in London, Birmingham, Manchester and Chester

    Monday – Friday: 9am – 5:30pm
    Saturday: By Appointments
    Sunday: Off

    0800 048 7573

    Get Instant Help

    Message or Request a Callback.

    Message Us
    Call Us
    Give Us A Ring
    0800 048 7573

    Toll Free

    02075 506 166


    0161 504 0084


    0121 260 5566


    01244 264 100


    How Can We Help?