Unmarried Partner Visa UK

The Unmarried Partner Visa UK is designed for individuals in a committed relationship with a British citizen or settled person in the UK but are not married or in a civil partnership. This visa allows non-EEA nationals to enter or remain in the UK for up to 30 months, which can be extended for another 30 months. In this article, we’ll explore the requirements and application process for the Unmarried Partner Visa in the UK and how Axis Solicitors can help you navigate the process.

An illustration of a couple that successfully applied for the UK Unmarried Partner VISA with the help of Axis Solicitors Limited.

Need unmarried partner visa application help or advice?

Many unmarried partner visa applications are dismissed by the Home Office because applicants fail to include complete and reliable evidence.

We understand how significant it is for you to be with your loved ones. Our lawyers will help you in every possible way to enable you to join and settle in with your unmarried British partner.


Unmarried Partner Visa UK - FAQs

Regardless of where the applicants are applying from (outside or inside the UK), the holders of an unmarried partner visa are entitled to full benefits, including the right to work and study in the UK.


Since this immigration route is the first step, many unmarried couples pursue to apply for the ILR, later on, to settle in permanently with their British settled partners.

It doesn’t matter whether you are applying for an extension or switching to this visa category from other immigration routes, the same benefits of living working and earning apply.

You must meet the financial requirements by the time of submitting the application for an unmarried partner visa.

If you cannot meet the financial requirements, unfortunately, your application will be declined.

Yes, you can. If you intend to bring along your dependants, you must apply for your dependants at the same time you submit your application under the unmarried partner visa route.

They only qualify as dependants under the age of 18 and are not living an ‘independent life’. If the children are above 18 years of age, they can apply by themselves provided they are not settled in the UK under a different immigration route.

For unmarried partner visa applications, you should use the following forms:

– FLR (M) for switching into an unmarried partner visa under 5 years route from inside the UK.

– FLR (M) for extension or renewal of your unmarried partner visa under 5 years route.

– SET (M) to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) as an unmarried partner under 5 years route. 

Entry clearance as an unmarried partner is granted for 33 months. You will be initially granted 30 days entry clearance endorsement on your passport to enable your entry in the UK and within 10 working days of your entry in the UK. You can collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the designated post office which will be valid for 33 months. 

Let Us Help You!

Request a call back from an expert.

Axis Solicitors Limited has experienced solicitors who can help you with your matters for a successful outcome.

Contact us for immediate advice via phone or contact form.